COVID-19 Resources


We understand this is a difficult time for many pet parents in Milwaukee County and across the globe. We are in the fight against COVID-19 together. No one is alone, and numerous resources are available to assist you during this time. 


  • Text COVID19 to 211-211,
  • Visit, or
  • Call 211. Call volumes are high, please be patient and try to use the text or online options first.


The COVID-19 pandemic, and the resulting changes to our lifestyles, can make anyone anxious or even depressed. Do not hesitate to ask for help if you’re feeling overwhelmed. Call 800-985-5990 to speak to a trained crisis counselor or text TalkWithUS to 66747.


To find a food pantry near you, call 2-1-1 for information.

The Wisconsin Humane Society believes that tight financial times should not break the bonds of love and companionship between people and their companion animals. WHS provides pet food, treats, and kitty litter for individuals who are struggling to provide food for their animals. This program has helped many people keep their animals in homes where they are loved.

FoodShare Wisconsin was created to help stop hunger and to improve nutrition and health. FoodShare helps people with limited money buy the food they need for good health. Each month, people across Wisconsin get help from FoodShare. They are people of all ages who have a job but have low incomes, are living on small or fixed income, have lost their job, and are retired or disabled and not able to work.

The Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) is a nutrition program for pregnant women, infants, women who are breastfeeding, postpartum women, and children younger than 5. WIC provides nutrition education, breastfeeding education and support, supplemental nutritious foods, and connections to other community services. Wisconsin families want to raise strong and healthy kids, and WIC is here to help.

Hunger Task Force is frequently updating a map of emergency food distribution centers throughout the Milwaukee metro area. Visit Hunger Task Force’s website for more information.

Feeding America continues to work with food banks across the country. Use the pantry locator to find the pantry closest to you. Some food sites have changed their hours or are offering drive-through only to minimize the spread of COVID-19.


Community Advocates is available by phone for Milwaukee residents seeking assistance with energy assistance, FSET and Housing and Disability Services. To receive energy assistance, individuals are asked to call (414) 270-4653 to schedule an appointment. For general assistance call (414) 270-2941.

Community Advocates has created a coronavirus resources list here.

Milwaukee County Energy Assistance Program All energy assistance application sites are closed to the public but appointments are being taken by phone. Beginning March 30, the income requirements have changed and only one month of income will be needed to apply. Schedule your appointment by calling or emailing. Call: 414-270-4653 or visit

We Energies

WEC Energy Group, which manages We Energies, recently stated that it will not disconnect service to any residential customers at this time. If someone is struggling to pay his or her bills, he or she is asked to contact WEC Energy Group to arrange a payment plan. To reach customer service, people in residential areas can call 800-242-9137.

Take Root Milwaukee

In response to COVID-19, many banks, credit unions and mortgage holding companies have created customer assistance programs, which allow a borrower to suspend his or her mortgage payment for up to 180 days. Take Root Milwaukee noted that in some cases it is up to the borrower to contact his or her servicer to request a payment plan. The organization has created a list of banks and other servicers’ contact information. Visit the Take Root Milwaukee website or call (414) 921-4149 for assistance.


Under the Families First Coronavirus Response Act employers must provide employees with paid sick leave and expanded family and medical leave for reasons related to COVID-19. Not all employers fall under the act. For additional information, individuals can call 1-866-487-9243 or go to the U.S. Department of Labor website.

Department of Workforce Development

Individuals who are temporarily out of work can apply for unemployment benefits. The benefits application can be found through the Department of Workforce Development.

Other helpful links:

Wisconsin Department of Workforce Development COVID-19 information

Unemployment COVID-19 Public Information

Employment and Training COVID-19 Public Information

Worker’s Compensation COVID-19 Public Information

Vocational Rehabilitation COVID-19 Public Information

Equal Rights COVID-19 Public Information


Financial assistance is available from local, state, and federal sources to assist business owners through this time. Visit our business resource page for more information. 



Centers for Disease Control & Prevention

FEMA Rumor Control Webpage


Wisconsin Department of Health Services


Milwaukee County Office of Emergency Management

Friends of MADACC Objectives

1. Reduce intake to MADACC.

2. Increase adoptions from MADACC.

3. Provide an enriching environment for the animals during their stay at MADACC.

4. Provide pet owners in Milwaukee County with supplies and services to keep their pets healthy and happy.