City of Milwaukee, Milwaukee County, Wisconsin: Chapter 78-22 of the City of Milwaukee Code of Ordinances places special requirements on owners of dogs that are one half or more American Staffordshire Terrier, Staffordshire Terrier, American Pit Bull Terrier, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, Miniature Bull Terrier or Rottweiler. For more information, please contact MADACC.
Pit Bull / Rottweiler Ordinance Requirements: (applicable to any animal that is one half or more Pit Bull or Rottweiler)
- A person must be at least 16yrs old and physically able to control the dog.
- Owners must attend a Responsible Pet Ownership Course.
- The owners home must have a fence that is sufficient to contain the dog. Height is determined on a case-by-case basis by an inspector. Fence must be made out of something that cannot be climbed or dug under. The fence must be set at least 3 feet from any alley, sidewalk or other public right of way.
- If there is no fence, then owners must install a kennel sufficient to contain the dog. It must have a concrete floor. The same fencing/containment requirements as above.
- Dogs must be placed in a kennel (if no fence) when outside. Dogs may not be ‘tied out’ without an enclosure.